July 16, 2021 - Uniform law commissioners from around the country met in Madison, Wisconsin, for the 130th Annual Meeting of the Uniform law Commission (ULC), held from July 9 through July 15. In addition to the approval of seven new uniform acts, there were two new study committees appointed, four new drafting committees appointed, and a new slate of officers elected.
Highlights from the 2021 annual meeting include:
Seven new uniform acts were approved:
- Uniform College Athlete Name, Image or Likeness Issues
- Uniform Personal Data Protection Act
- Uniform Restrictive Employment Agreement Act
- Uniform Cohabitants Economic Remedies Act
- Uniform Community Property Disposition at Death Act
- Uniform Unregulated Child Custody Transfer Act
- Amendments to Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act
Other drafts which were debated at the ULC annual meeting, but which were not scheduled for final approval, include the Telehealth Act, the Alcohol Direct-Shipping Compliance Act, the Public Meetings During Emergencies Act, and amendments to the Uniform Commercial Code regarding Emerging Technologies.
Two new study committees were approved:
- Study Committee on Redaction of Personal Information from Public Records
- Study Committee on U.N. Convention on International Settlement Agreements Resulting from Mediation
Four new drafting committees were approved:
- Drafting Committee on Mortgage Modification
- Drafting Committee to Revise the Uniform Determination of Death
- Drafting Committee on Public Health Emergency Authorities
- Drafting Committee on Restrictive Covenants in Deeds
ULC officers for 2021-2022 were also elected:
- ULC President: Dan Robbins, California
- ULC Vice President: Diane Boyer-Vine, California
- ULC Secretary: Ryan Leonard, Oklahoma
- ULC Treasurer: Thomas J. Buiteweg, Michigan
Other leadership positions include:
- Chair, ULC Executive Committee: Tim Berg, Arizona
- Chair, ULC Scope and Program Committee: Lisa Jacobs, Pennsylvania
- Chair, ULC Legislative Committee: Steve Wilborn, Kentucky
The ULC, now in its 130th year, comprises more than 350 practicing lawyers, governmental lawyers, judges, law professors, and lawyer-legislators from every state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Commissioners are appointed by their states to draft and promote enactment of uniform laws that are designed to solve problems common to all the states.
After receiving the ULC's seal of approval, a uniform act is officially promulgated for consideration by the states, and legislatures are urged to adopt it. Since its inception in 1892, the ULC has been responsible for more than 200 acts, among them such bulwarks of state statutory law as the Uniform Commercial Code, the Uniform Probate Code, the Uniform Partnership Act, and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.
More information: www.uniformlaws.org
Uniform Law Commission / 111 N. Wabash Ave., Suite 1010 / Chicago IL 60602 / 312/450-6600
Contact: Katie Robinson, ULC Communications Officer, krobinson@...
Legislative Program Director